Microsoft SharePoint 2013:Setup List or Library Name and Navigation
List and Library names, their description and navigation settings are important when creating new list or library apps. The names should be descriptive to make navigation easier for users. You have an option to display a link to your apps on the Quick Launch or you can add them as Web Parts to a SharePoint page. Additionally, you can create a permanent link to the app on the Quick Launch using the steps from this page – Customize site navigation. If you don’t need a link to the app in the Quick Launch you may turn it off for this list or library.
When you name a list or library, it is recommended to avoid spaces, since they are showed as “%20” in the URL. You can setup a URL while creating the app first and the edit its name and description on the "Settings" page.
Creating the list and setting up it`s name and description
- Navigate to the site where you want to create a list and verify that you have proper permissions there.
- Click Site Settings gear and choose Add an app option.
- Choose the app you want to add. (In this guide we are going to add “Announcements” app.)
- Enter the name and click Create.
- After that you will be launched to "Site Contents" page where you will see your newly created list with the "new" green mark. You can access it from this page or you can click on the lists title in the Quick Launch where it has appeared under the Recent header. Note that in the Recent section on the Quick Launch only the links to the 5 newest apps are shown.
- Access your new app and navigate to the List Settings.
- Navigate to the List name, description and navigation settings.
- Now you can rename the app, enter description and manage navigation settings. Rename the app and click Save.
- You can see that the URL of the app has not changed.
- Navigate to the List Settings - List name, description and navigation.
- In the Navigation section choose Yes under the “Display this document library on the Quick Launch?” option and click Save.
- Now you can see that your new app is no longer shown in the Recent section on the Quick Launch. It is now displayed in the main section.
For more information how to add and edit list and library items in SharePoint 2013 please refer to the following page – Add and edit list items