Microsoft SharePoint 2013:Setup Content Approval and Versioning for a List
Setup Content Approval and Versioning for a List
When you access List or Library settings - Versioning setting page, you can turn on Content Approval, enable Version History, and specify Draft Item Security options. When Content Approval is enabled, you can create items as drafts and they will not be visible to other users until a user with Approve permission approves them. Note that approver will not receive an email notifications for submitted items and this user will need to visit list periodically and check if there are items waiting for approval. As an alternative, you can setup alerts for this list (Please see Setting up Alerts in SharePoint 2013) or configure an Approval Workflow.
For details about Version History settings please refer to the following page – Version history
Draft Item Security settings can be specified only if Content Approval has been turned on. You can specify who will be able to view a draft item in the list or library.
Setup Content Approval
- Navigate to the list for which you want to enable Content Approval.
- Go to the List Settings page.
- On the Settings page navigate to Versioning settings .
- Click Yes under “Require Content Approval for Submitted Items” option in the Content Approval section.
- Note that in the Draft Item Security section under “Who should see draft items in this list?” the option “Only users who can approve items (and the author of the item)” is used by default. You can change this setting according to your needs. If you choose “Only users who can edit items” all draft items will be visible for users with Contribute permissions. After choosing the necessary settings click OK.
- You need to create new item in your list or library. We are using Announcements app in this guide. Click on new announcement link.
- Enter the title for this announcement in the new item dialog. You will see the notification that items require approval on this list. Click Save.
- Now you can see that the status of this item is Pending in the Approval Status column.
- Click the ellipsis near the item`s title to open callout menu and click Approve/Reject. Alternatively, you can select the item and click Approve/Reject button from the ribbon.
- In the Approve/Reject dialog choose Approved in the Approval Status section. You can also add some comments. Click OK.
- Now you can see that the Approval Status for this item has changed to Approved.
For the details about document versioning please see – Version history