Microsoft SharePoint 2013:List and Library Permissions
List and Library Permissions
Lists and libraries may have unique permissions or inherit permissions from the current site.
List or library permissions include the following options:
- Manage Lists - create and delete lists and libraries, add or remove columns in a list or a library, and add or remove public views of a list or a library.
- Override List Behaviors - discard or check in a document that is checked out to another user.
- Add Items - add items to lists and add documents to document libraries.
- Edit Items - edit items in lists, edit documents in document libraries, and customize Web Part pages in document libraries.
- Delete Items - delete items from a list and documents from a document library.
- View Items - view items in lists and documents in document libraries.
- Approve Items - approve a minor version of a list item or document.
- Open Items - view the source of documents with server-side file handlers.
- View Versions - view past versions of a list item or document.
- Delete Versions - delete past versions of a list item or document.
- Create Alerts - create alerts.
- View Application Pages - view forms, views, and application pages. Enumerate lists.
These options are assigned to permission levels. The default permission levels are:
- Full Control
- Limited Access
When you create unique permissions for a list or library, you can assign these default levels to users or you can create your own permission levels according to the specific needs.
Create unique permissions for a list or library and assign permissions to a user
- Login to the SharePoint site and navigate to the library or list for which you need to create unique permissions. We will create unique permissions for a document library in this tutorial.
- Go to Library Settings page.
- On the Library settings page go to “Permissions for this document library”
- On the library permissions page click on Stop Inheriting Permissions.
- Now this library has a unique permissions. On the Permissions tab, click Grant Permissions.
- Start typing a username to the Invite people box in the Share dialog and chose a user you want to grant permissions to this library.
- Click Show Options link. Now you can specify whether to send sharing invitation to this user or not.
- Choose the permission level you would like to assign to this user and click Share.