Microsoft SharePoint 2013:Create a list
In SharePoint 2013 the key components are Lists and Libraries using which you can store, track and manage different types of data. SharePoint 2013 has introduced users new apps model and all lists and libraries are now complex apps with cloud-driven functionality. Depending from the type of information you are going to store at your SharePoint site, you can choose from the variety of in-built list and library apps described at the following page - Microsoft SharePoint 2013:Default Lists and Libraries.
One more concept is important to understand is the difference between library and list. Basically, library is used to store documents and list is used to store a structured data.
When you need to create new list, first of all, you need to define what type of information you are going to store in it. On the basis of what you are going to manage you will easily find is the most suitable list type. Later on, you can modify the list, add columns or hide them, to achieve the app that exactly covers your needs. Or you can always build your own app from the scratch using Custom list app, for more details see Microsoft SharePoint 2013:Default Lists and Libraries.
The detailed steps to add a new list:
- Navigate to the site where you want to create a list and verify that you have proper permissions there.
- All the available lists you can find if you click Site Settings gear and choose Add an app option. You will be displayed Your apps page where you can choose the one you need. On the top of this page you will find "Noteworthy" section that contains the most popular and widely used apps. Scroll down or filter the apps to find the one you want to add.
- Click on the desired app and new window asking for the app name will appear. When you establish the name for any list you establish its title and internal URL. Please note that the title can be changed later, but the URL cannot. So, when naming the list the best practices are the following: the name should be short, intuitive, and descriptive. It should not contain spaces and special characters. Enter the name and click Create.
- After that you will be launched to Site Contents page where you will see your newly created list with the "new" green mark. You can access it from this page or you can click on the lists title in the Quick launch where it has appeared under the Recent header.
- Now you can adjust the lists settings according to your needs. In the List tab on the ribbon click List settings. On the List Settings page you can find the following sections:
- List Information – lists Name, URL, description
- General Settings column – includes the settings for Versioning, Advanced, Validation, Column Default Value, Rating, Audience Targeting, and Form.
- Permissions and Management column – includes the settings for Permissions, File Management, Workflow, Information Management Policy, and Enterprise Metadata and Keywords. Also here “Save this list as a template’ option is located.
- Communications – includes the options to configure RSS feed and incoming e-mail for this list.
- Content Types – the list of content types associated with this list.
- Columns – here you can view, add, and modify columns for this list.
- Views – includes all list views. Here you can modify them and create the new ones for your list.
- Now you can rename your list if you have used the name without spaces and see that the URL will not be altered. You can do this on the List name, description and navigation settings section.
- Return to the default page of your newly created list by clicking its name at the Quick Launch.
Now, when you have created and modified new list at the SharePoint 2013 site, you can start adding items to it. The detailed description how to do this you can find at the following page - Microsoft SharePoint 2013:Add and edit list items.